- Something that is stated or appears in a certain way but may not truly be that way in essence or fact
- A trivial or small amount that could merely be considered symbolic or a token
- The similar annual interest rate that would occur without interest compounding during periods of less than a year
- The percentage by which a paid-back loan surpasses the original principal amount borrowed with no adjustment for inflation
- The nominal fee for this course is only a small fraction of what it delivers in value.
- The nominal interest rate on the savings account does not take into account the effects of compounding periods within a year.
- The loan was repaid, but due to nominal consideration, the inflation rate was not taken into account.