- A conviction or belief that falls between a basic impression and indisputable knowledge
- A professional assessment or judgment given by an expert in a particular field
- Guidance or assessment provided by a lawyer to his client, concerning the legal issues involved in a particular situation
- An advisory perspective given by an authorized public representative or a prestigious organization, such as the American Bar Association
- A detailed, written presentation by a judge or court outlining the legal principles and reasoning underlying a particular court decision
- A written clarification of a decision made by an official presiding over a non-judicial conflict resolution
- The lawyer's opinion was that the evidence was not strong enough to proceed with the lawsuit.
- The attorney general issued an opinion stating that the proposed legislation was constitutional.
- Based on his expert opinion, the arbitrator decided the dispute in favor of the tenant.