- The actual goal or purpose, particularly as it pertains to the creators of the U.S. Constitution
- A theory in constitutional law advocating that only the understandings and guarantees explicitly mentioned in the Constitution by its creators are legally valid
- The lawyers debated if the policy was in accordance with the original intent of the Second Amendment.
- Some legal experts consulted the original intent of the framers to interpret a controversial passage in the Constitution.
- The judge questioned whether the new regulation violated the original intent of the First Amendment.