- A transaction that is not conducted or executed on a structured securities platform or exchange
- Products or services that can be legally sold without needing a prescription from a medical professional
- Over-the-counter trading allows traders to execute transactions directly between two parties, without the need for an exchange.
- Over-the-counter medications like pain relievers and cold medicine can be bought without a prescription.
- Over-the-counter derivatives are contracts that are traded (and privately negotiated) directly between two parties, without going through an exchange or other intermediary.