- A term referring to the act of making a decision that goes against a previous ruling or decision
- A process where a superior authority reviews a previous decision or ruling, and decides to go against it
- A situation where an existing rule or precedent is rejected and replaced by a new one
- During the proceedings, the judge decided to overrule a previous ruling which changed the direction of the case.
- The panel had to overrule its initial decision after the team leader pointed out a key piece of evidence that was overlooked.
- Their decision to overrule the established protocol sparked much controversy among the members of the council.