- A written appeal formally submitted to an authoritative individual or entity, such as a court or a board
- A paper that contains a written appeal formally made
- The act of addressing a formal written request to a designated person or institution
- The process of creating and submitting a formal written request
- The citizens filed a petition to the city council for a new park.
- The lawyer prepared the petition for the divorce proceeding.
- The club members decided to petition the school board for additional funding.