- The act of robbers stealing on the high seas (open waters)
- Illegally copying, distributing, or using a person's or company's creation, like a film, without proper authorization, often in violation of copyright laws
- Illegally accessing, intercepting, or receiving encoded communications, such as satellite cable programs, typically to evade paying usage fees
- The act of committing illegal activities categorized as 'piracy'
- Counterfeit DVDs are a common example of piracy that violates copyright laws.
- The capture of the cargo ship by the pirates was a notorious act of piracy.
- Individuals who hack satellite communications to bypass paid subscriptions are committing piracy.