- The act of monitoring, controlling, or keeping order, primarily done as part of an official responsibility
- The act of supervising and implementing rules to maintain the order and well-being of a political entity and its people
- The division of a government or another establishment responsible for preserving order, ensuring safety, and implementing laws
- Individuals who are part of a force whose duties include maintaining order and law enforcement
- The city council decided to increase funding for the police to handle the recent increase in crime.
- Various community groups responded to the police's call for cooperation in promoting neighborhood safety.
- In response to a bank robbery, the police quickly cordoned off several streets as they searched for the suspects.