- Establishing or basing something on a particular element or principle
- Something happening before another offense, which forms the foundation or part of the foundation for a conviction of that offense
- Something that happens before and forms the basis for increasing the severity of a sentence upon conviction for a subsequent offense
- The lawyer’s argument did not have enough evidence to predicate his claim.
- A criminal's past actions could act as a predicate for a conviction in a current case.
- Repeated offenses of law could predicate sentence enhancement.