- The act of claiming or taking possession of land before anyone else has the opportunity
- The action of taking or capturing something before others have the chance
- The process by which one law supersedes or replaces another due to preemption principles
- The prohibition or prevention of a particular activity or action by way of preemption
- The federal law was able to preempt the state legislation, leading to a uniform regulation applied across the country.
- The company managed to preempt the patent, securing exclusive rights to the invention before competitors could do the same.
- After being granted the right to the land, the party is able to preempt others from staking a claim.