- The process of obtaining a lesser interest in real property, such as an easement, through long-term, continuous, open, and hostile use and possession, as defined by jurisdictional law
- The expiration of a legally designated amount of time after which a right becomes unenforceable in Louisiana courts, although it may still be enforceable in the courts of another state
- The establishment of a right due to the passage of a legally fixed period of time
- A principle or instruction established as a regulatory rule
- After ten years of using the pathway that crossed her neighbor's land, she was able to acquire a prescription over it.
- The claim was denied because it was filed too late and thus came under the law of prescription in Louisiana.
- Due to the prescription, he now has the right to use the shared driveway.
- The company policy mandates prescription for specific behavioral guidelines in the workplace.