- A time of evaluation and potential termination at the start of employment, during which an individual's suitability for the role is assessed
- A period of observation during employment or education due to a breach of standards, during which dismissal can occur if standards are not achieved
- A scenario where part or all of a penal sentence is put on hold, and replaced with a state of liberty contingent on meeting certain conditions and under the oversight of a probation officer
- A standalone sentence of probation
- The duration or circumstance of being under probation
- After her legal troubles, she was put on probation and had to report to a probation officer every week.
- During his initial six months at the new job, he was on probation and his performance was closely monitored.
- She was sentenced to probation for her minor offense rather than serving time in jail.