- A command from a superior court to a lower court to stay within its jurisdiction, which might include stopping a legal action
- An authoritative command or order to stop or refrain from doing something
- A law or regulation that forbids specific behaviors or procedures
- A historical era in the United States from 1920 to 1933 where the production, transportation, and sale of alcoholic beverages were banned due to the Eighteenth Amendment
- Due to a prohibition from higher court, the local court had to stop the trial.
- The government issued a prohibition on public gatherings due to health considerations.
- During prohibition, the sale of liquor was illegal across the United States.