- The act of providing a shield to prevent harm or injury
- The process to ensure the preservation and uphold the integrity of something against any form of encroachment, infringement, restriction, or violation, with the help of legal or constitutional guarantees
- The method of limiting competition, particularly for domestic industries, via the use of tariffs or other controls on trade
- The law was enacted to protect the rights of small business owners.
- Environmental regulations aim to protect natural ecosystems from deterioration.
- The country instituted trade controls to protect its local technology industry from foreign competitors.