- A formal statement, often expressing disagreement or disapproval
- A formal written statement by authorized officials like notaries public or U.S. consuls expressing the dishonor of a financial instrument and declaring the liability of all parties involved for any loss or damage
- A formal statement made by the ship's captain to an authorized official upon arriving at a port after a misfortune, stating the loss and declaring that the crew is not at fault, but the misfortune caused it
- A formal statement made by an individual or entity, especially when complying with a disputed tax or act, asserting their contention about the fairness or legality of the tax or act and their unwillingness to comply
- The act of expressing disapproval or raising objections
- When the tax increase was proposed, he filed a protest, asserting the measure was unjust.
- Upon reaching the port after the storm, the captain lodged a protest stating that the damage to the goods was due to the weather, not crew negligence.
- The notary public issued a protest announcing the dishonor of the promissory note and making clear the liability of all parties involved.