- Describes the event or fact that is directly linked to or causes an outcome, especially one that could be anticipated, without any intermediate occurrence disrupting the sequence
- Refers to something that is quite close or nearby in relation to something else
- In a negligence lawsuit, the plaintiff must prove that the defendant's action was the proximate cause of the injury.
- In geographical terms, Canada is more proximate to the United States than Mexico.
- The severity of the victim's injuries was a direct result of the proximate exposure to the explosion.