- When a penalty is enforced due to someone's misdeed, offense, or rule-breaking
- The action of imposing a penalty on someone who has committed an offense, with the aim of retributing, retaliating, or deterring future offenses
- The act of carrying out a penalty or punishment
- The court decided to punish the offender with a fine for his reckless driving.
- An individual might be punished by the law if they are found guilty of tax evasion.
- The teacher had to punish the student for breaking the school's code of conduct.