- A commitment made officially in a court, requiring a person to carry out a particular action such as payment of a debt, typically under the threat of a financial penalty
- A personal pledge, such as a promise to appear in court, made before a judicial officer, which does not involve a financial penalty
- The defendant was released on his own recognizance, promising to attend all future court proceedings.
- Recognizance can function as a security to ensure an individual's appearance in court.
- The judge set the recognizance at a hefty sum to secure the accused person's compliance with court orders.