- The action of regaining or making up for a loss
- The retention of part or all of an amount by a defendant to ensure justice
- A decrease in the payout to a plaintiff due to an associated claim from the defendant based on the same event or transaction
- The defendant's ability to have the plaintiff's claim reduced or nullified due to the plaintiff's breach of agreement or duty during the same event or transaction
- A retaliatory claim that results from the same event or transaction as the initial lawsuit
- Since the renter had damaged the property, the landlord exercised recoupment by keeping part of the security deposit.
- The factory used recoupment to diminish the damages they had to pay because of a counter-claim they made regarding the same incident.
- Due to their own violation during the same transaction, the plaintiff found their claim was reduced by the defendant's recoupment right.