- A legal process enabling a court to lower an overly large verdict
- The voluntary surrender by a plaintiff of a part of a verdict, deemed excessive by a court, to a defendant
- A formal declaration by the plaintiff relinquishing the right to an excess portion of a verdict
- The return of a case and its record from a higher court to a lower court for further action or for the entry of a judgment according to the instructions or decision of the upper court
- The court decided to issue a remittitur after determining the damages awarded were disproportionately high.
- After the court ruled the verdict excessive, the plaintiff offered a remittitur to the defendant.
- The case was sent back through remittitur from the appellate court to the trial court for further proceedings.