- The act of stepping in on behalf of someone else to perform a specific role or duty, typically as permitted by law
- The action of serving as an elected official in a legislative authority and voicing the concerns of the electorate
- The act of an attorney providing legal services to a client
- The action of standing in for a group of people in a legal dispute such as a class action lawsuit
- Describing something or someone as possessing certain attributes or traits
- Expressing personal interpretation and opinion on a matter with the intention to influence the decisions or actions of others
- In court, the attorney was there to represent his client who was unable to attend.
- In the legislative assembly, the elected member will represent the interests of his constituents.
- In the lawsuit, the attorney was appointed to represent the large group of people affected by the faulty product.