- A postponed disciplinary action applied to an individual who has been pronounced guilty, most commonly a prisoner slated for punishment
- The application of mercy through the delay of an impending punishment, or the status of an individual who has been granted such leniency
- A deliberate, temporary hold placed on the execution of a judicial sentence, predominantly one of capital punishment, serving as an act of mercy
- A legal directive or official document that delays the execution of punishment
- The governor granted a reprieve to the prisoner, postponing the execution by thirty days.
- Due to new evidence, the judge issued a temporary reprieve, placing a hold on the defendant's punishment.
- Under the president's power of pardon and reprieve, the sentence of the inmate was suspended for the time being.