- It refers to the use of force, less than warfare, to take revenge for any damage sustained in international legal situations
- This phrase can also indicate a specific occurrence where similar retaliation involving a lesser degree of force was enacted
- In another context, it signifies any act taken to seek revenge
- The country's leader justified the reprisal by referring to the unjust treatment his country had received internationally.
- The opposing group swiftly executed a reprisal after their leader was arrested by authorities.
- Alleged theft by neighbors led to a reprisal act that further reinforced the hostility between the two families.