- A person or party who is called upon to answer or defend themselves in various legal actions or processes
- A participant who delivers an answer in a court process intended to come to an equitable resolution
- The individual or entity against whom a request is lodged, such as a petition for a judicial order commanding one to act or refrain from acting
- A person or group who must provide an answer or defense during a proceeding in a court designated to handle issues related to juveniles or families
- A party who successfully won a court case and is now defending the achieved verdict during an appeal process
- The respondent was called to court to defend their actions in the case.
- In the divorce proceedings, the respondent gave their side of the story.
- The respondent is required to provide a defense in the juvenile court.