- The action or effect of keeping something under control or within limits
- Being kept under control or within limits
- Something used to keep something else under control or within limits
- Equipment used to limit the movement, particularly of individuals who may pose a risk to themselves or others
- After causing disruption in the meeting, he was put under restraint.
- She showed remarkable restraint when tempted to retaliate.
- In certain medical and institutional settings, physical restraints may be used to keep patients safe.