restraint of trade
- An action or circumstance that limits or obstructs the unhindered flow of commerce or business
- A deliberate intervention seeking to eliminate or stifle competition, monopolize a field of business, manipulate prices, or in any way impede the natural progression of trade and commerce based on economic dynamics
- The new regulations could potentially serve as a restraint of trade, limiting the ability for businesses to compete freely.
- The lawsuit alleged that the company's practices were a restraint of trade, attempting to stifle competition in the market.
- Officials are investigating the corporate merger for possible restraint of trade, which could affect market prices.