- A specific day designated for the completion of a return
- The day assigned for a defendant to appear in court related to a legal action or proceeding
- A designated day by which the defendant in a legal action must file a response
- A predetermined day on which a hearing or proceeding, like a motion, is scheduled to take place
- A specified day by which proof of service in a legal case must be submitted
- A legally defined day for tallying the results of an election
- The court scheduled a return day for the defendant to submit their plea.
- The process server needed to provide proof of service before the return day.
- After the election, they waited until the return day to officially announce the results.