- An individual who does not participate in union activities and continues to work instead
- A participant of a union who declines to partake in a strike or returns to their job prior to the conclusion of the strike
- A person who takes up a job or replaces a union employee during the course of a strike
- A person who chooses to work for less pay than union rates or under non-union work conditions
- The workers were upset when a scab was hired during their strike.
- Even though he was part of the union, he decided to be a scab and kept working during the strike.
- She accepted a job under non-union terms, thus being considered a scab by her union colleagues.