- The formal declaration of the punishment that will be imposed on an individual who has been found guilty of a crime
- The prescribed consequence or punishment that an individual receives after being found guilty of a crime
- The act of determining and imposing a punishment on an individual who has been convicted of a crime
- After the trial, the judge will sentence the convicted individual.
- The severity of the crime will often determine the harshness of the sentence.
- The family was relieved when the criminal received a long sentence for the crime committed.