- The process of terminating a joint tenancy, which may involve ending one or all of the shared aspects of time, title, possession, or interest, possibly by transferring one tenant's rights to another party
- The procedure of dividing a contract into distinct parts or separate obligations with the intention of individually addressing each part
- The act of separately trying criminal offenses or defendants with the goal of preventing bias or prejudice that may occur if tried together
- The division of a criminal trial into multiple separate trials to prevent potential bias or partiality
- The process of conducting separate trials for civil claims or issues, which are pleaded in the same case, in the interest of fairness and impartiality
- The judge decided to sever the case into separate trials to ensure a fair assessment of each defendant's actions.
- To prevent conflicts of interest, the company decided to sever its contract with the supplier into individual obligations.
- The court agreed to sever the criminal offenses into different trials to prevent prejudice.