- The act of bringing goods into or out of a country in a covert manner to escape the law, often to avoid taxes or other legal restrictions
- Carrying items in or out of a country against the laws set by the customs authority
- When he tried to smuggle rare artifacts across the border, he was intercepted by customs officials.
- The police caught a group of people trying to smuggle contraband tobacco into the country.
- Despite stringent border controls, some individuals manage to smuggle illegal goods.