- An individual known for making unwise and excessive expenditures
- A person who is known to handle money recklessly
- A trust set up to control a beneficiary's spending, commonly known as a spendthrift trust
- To curb his spendthrift habits, Paul's parents mandated a financial advisor.
- The spendthrift clause in their father's will shocked the children, who were expecting unrestricted access to their inheritance.
- The court determined the trust to be spendthrift because it placed heavy restrictions on the beneficiary's access to funds.