- Being in a position that is lower in rank or class
- Under the control of an authority or higher position
- The act of making something, such as a debt, less important or a lower priority
- In the company's hierarchical structure, the assistant manager is subordinate to the general manager.
- The local law enforcement teams are often subordinate to state or federal authorities in situations involving serious crimes.
- The firm was forced to subordinate some of its debts to ensure critical operations could continue.