- A document issued by a court or other legal authority commanding an individual to appear at a certain location, such as a court or legislative committee, or face potential penalties like contempt charges for non-compliance
- The act of summoning a person to appear in front of a court or a hearing through the issuance of a subpoena
- The witness received a subpoena, commanding her to testify in front of the jury.
- The lawyer planned to subpoena the defendant to ensure his presence at the upcoming hearing.
- A risk of ignoring a subpoena is facing potential contempt charges.