- Refers to the essence or core of a matter in legal situations
- Not false or imaginary, but based on valid and tangible facts or evidence in a legal context
- Having a relevant impact or bearing on a legal issue or decision
- Refers to a significant amount or degree in the context of law
- The evidence provided in this case was substantial and undeniable.
- The jury found the arguments made by the prosecution to be substantial and compelling.
- The court requires substantial evidence before it can overturn a previous decision.