- Refers to something with a solid basis in reality, instead of just pertaining to its form or procedure
- Connected to the rights and duties of individuals and corporations, or influencing their legal actions
- Self-sustaining or autonomously present without depending on others
- Although procedural changes can impact a case, substantive laws typically have a more significant effect.
- Substantive laws are critical as they define legal responsibilities and rights.
- In contrast to derivative rights, her claim was substantive, existing independently of other claims.