- The act of replacing a person or object with another
- An arrangement where a recipient is instructed to hold transferred assets and then pass them on to another individual
- When an existing party in a legal case who is unable to proceed, such as due to death or incapacity, is replaced by a new party through a formal court request
- The act of supplanting an original contract or obligation with a brand new one
- The court allowed a substitution after the plaintiff became unable to proceed with the case.
- Through a mechanism of substitution, the beneficiary was instructed to keep the inheritance for a while and then pass it to another person.
- The company made a substitution, replacing the initial contract with a fresh one that better suited their evolving needs.