- Holding the same position or office after someone else
- Accepting something in sequence or order
- To step into an estate's responsibility, including rights and obligations, formerly held by a decedent
- Following something else directly in a sequence
- To assume the role or position of someone else, specifically as an heir or an appointed successor
- After the president resigned, the vice president was expected to succeed.
- When the estate's owner passed away, her youngest daughter was chosen to succeed.
- The newly appointed CEO will succeed after his predecessor's term ends next month.