- The act of levying an extra cost on top of the standard or expected fee or charge
- The demonstration of an oversight in an account, where credit should have been granted, but was missed
- An extra or excess fee that is added on top of the usual or expected costs
- A financial penalty that is placed on a person in a position of trust, like a trustee or executor, for neglecting their duty of care when managing assets
- The restaurant added a surcharge to bills on holiday evenings to cover additional staffing costs.
- During the audit, the accountant found a surcharge in the company's bookkeeping where credit transactions had been overlooked.
- Due to mismanagement of the client's assets, the trustee was subjected to a surcharge as a penalty for neglecting his fiduciary duties.
- To cover the rising card transaction fees, many small businesses have started imposing a surcharge on all card payments.