- The position held by a representative acting in someone else's place, typically in a legal situation
- The act of a woman agreeing to become pregnant and give birth to a child for another person or couple, who will become the child's legal parents after birth
- After struggling with fertility issues for several years, the couple decided to explore surrogacy as an alternative way of having a child.
- In some states, surrogacy contracts are legal and enforceable, while in others, they are not recognized.
- In surrogacy, the surrogate mother carries the pregnancy to term and then the child is legally adopted by the intended parents.