- This refers to the government's act of obtaining private property or significantly restricting the owner's right to utilize it freely. This act is often associated with the exercise of eminent domain and, in such cases, fair compensation must be provided to the owner, as stipulated by the Fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution
- The term also describes the illegitimate exercise of control over property or a person by an individual or entity
- The taking of the family's farm by the local government left them seeking fair compensation.
- The theft of the priceless painting was a clear example of illegal taking.
- After the taking of her property, the woman sought legal help to fight for her rights.