- An individual with the authority to conclusively resolve a dispute or issue between involved parties
- A person selected to reach a resolution in situations where arbitrators cannot agree
- A neutral individual chosen to settle disagreements that arise under the provisions of a labor contract
- An individual assigned to find a common ground between the estimates of an insured and insurer to ascertain the value of a loss
- The umpire rendered a fair decision that resolved the ongoing dispute between the two workers.
- In the event that the two arbitrators cannot agree, an umpire will be brought in to make a final decision.
- The policy contract states that an umpire will be involved if the insured and insurer cannot agree on the value of the loss.