- The act of taking and maintaining control of something like an office, position, or powers, forcefully or without legal justification
- Wrongful or illegitimate seizing or exercising of authority or possession
- A company leader might usurp control from the board of directors without their consent.
- In a hostile takeover, one corporation could potentially usurp the properties and assets of another.
- The manager was accused of trying to usurp the owner's authority by making decisions without consulting her first.