- A connection or relationship between a person who obtains property that has a restrictive agreement, and the individuals who put the agreement in place
- A relationship between different entities involved in successive steps of a product distribution chain, such as a manufacturer and retailer
- In the case of the retail store, there was vertical privity between the property owner who signed a non-compete clause and the new tenant.
- The contract established a vertical privity between the widget manufacturer and the retail outlet stocking their product.
- The shopping mall's lease created a vertical privity situation, linking the mall owner with each individual store on the premises.